Department of Anthropology
Faculty of Social and Political Sciences – University of Indonesia
Depok Campus, Depok 16424 – Indonesia
Center of Gender and Sexuality Studies
Faculty of Social and Political Sciences – University of Indonesia
Depok Campus, Depok 16424 – Indonesia
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- BA (anthropology) University of Indonesia, January 1987
- Master of Arts (anthropology) at Ateneo de Manila University (Philippines), December 1994
- Non-degree Tagalog course at University of Philippines (Manila) June-September 1997
- Training module on Gender, Reproductive Health and Fertility at University of Amsterdam, November 1998
- Summer course on Sexuality, Culture and Society at University of Amsterdam, July-August 2000
- PhD program on medical anthropology, Amsterdam School for Social Science Research, April 2005 – present
- Lecturer, Department of Anthropology, University of Indonesia, 1991- present
- Editorial board of ANTROPOLOGI INDONESIA journal, formerly BERITA ANTROPOLOGI published by Department of Anthropology, 1989 – 1994
- Vice editor-in-chief of ANTROPOLOGI INDONESIA journal, 1995-1999, 2004-present
- Project coordinator of Training program on ‘Gender and Sexuality’ held by Laboratorium Antropologi FISIP UI and Unit Studi Jender dan Pembangunan FISIP UI, funded by Ford Foundation. 1998-2003
- Head, Laboratorium Antropologi, 2000 – 2003
- Secretary of Department of Anthropology, starting March 2004-February 2005.
- Head of Undergraduate Program, Department of Anthropology, March 2005 – August 2006
- Board member, Southeast Asia Consortium on Gender, Sexuality, and Health, (2003-present) in Bangkok – www.seaconsortium.net
- Board member, International Association for the Study of Sexuality, Culture and Society – www.iasscs.org
- Program advisor, Leadership Training on Gender, Sexuality, and Sexual Health in Southeast Asia and China, conducted by Southeast Asia Consortium on Gender, Sexuality, and Health (beginning 2003)
RESEARCH and CONSULTANCY EXPERIENCES:
- National Consultant for Literature Review of Gender-based violence in 7th UNFPA Country Program provinces, Programme Component Population and Development Strategies BPS-Statistics Indonesia UNPFA Project, August 2008.
- Individual PhD research on ‘’The Desire of Parenthood: Sexuality and Reproduction among HIV-positive people in Karawang district, West Java”, April 2006 – April 2007.
- National consultant for Workshop on 3-R Training of Trainers (TOT) Empowerment for Children, Youth and Families: Rights, Responsibilities and Representation, 6-10 February 2006, Puncak, West Java. A collaboration activity held by International Program on the Elimination of Child Labor (IPEC) – ILO and GECL of ILO Subregional Office for East Asia (SRO Bangkok).
- Senior researcher, research on “Towards a continuum of care in Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission Programs: Participatory action-research in Vietnam and Indonesia”, Center of Social Welfare Studies University of Indonesia, University of Amsterdam, and Yayasan Pelita Ilmu, April-December 2005.
- Facilitator in research workshops of ‘Sexual Rights and Women Empowerment: Comparative Studies between India and Indonesia’, 5 July, 28 September, and 20-24 December 2005 in Jakarta
- Research Coordinator, project research on ‘Sexual Rights and Women’s Empowerment: Comparative study between India and Indonesia’, with Asia Kartini Network, supported by Ford Foundation, June-December 2005
- National Consultant for Workshop on ‘Promotion of Gender Equality in Action against Child Labour and Trafficking, held by ILO-IPEC and GECL Project, ILO SRO Bangkok, October 2004.
- Team leader, Rapid Ethnographic Assessment training for district/city health providers in South Kalimantan and South Sumatera, January-February 2003
- Principal investigator, project on ‘Qualitative Study of Sexual Behavior and Sexual Risk among MSM (men who have sex with men) in Jakarta’, with ASA-Family Health International, May-August 2002
- Team leader, project on ‘Special Survey and Design Intervention of ICDC (Intensified Communicable Disease Control) Program in South Kalimantan and East Nusa Tenggara’ in collaboration with Department of Health, September-November 2001
- In-country consultant, with Dr. Michael Tan (Philippines) as external evaluator, project on ‘Review of ongoing HIV/AIDS/STD/RH projects of the European Community Technical Assistance Network in collaboration with University of Amsterdam, September 1998
- Principal investigator, project on ‘Adolescent Sexual Behavior in North Sumatera and South Kalimantan’, June-August 1996.
- Co-principal investigator, project on ‘Men’s roles in reproductive health (Atma Jaya Research Centre), April–June 1996.
- Researcher, project on ‘The pregnant women’s behavior in a low-income community in North Jakarta’ (for MA thesis), October 1993-January 1994
- Trainer, 2nd Leadership Training on Gender, Sexuality, and Sexual Health in Southeast Asia and China, held by Mahidol University, 18 August – 6 September 2003, in Bangkok.
- Trainer, 3rd Leadership Training on Gender, Sexuality, and Sexual Health in Southeast Asia and China, held by University of the Philippines, 15 August – 3 September 2004, in Manila
- Trainer, 4th Leadership Training on Gender, Sexuality, and Sexual Health in Southeast Asia and China, held by University of Gadjah Mada, 15 August – 3 September 2005, in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- National facilitator in 3-R Training of Trainers (TOT) for ILO-IPEC partners working on Anti-Trafficking and with Children involved in Drugs Trafficking in Jakarta and Sukabumi, 26 February -1 March 2007, Jakarta
- Facilitator for training on Sexuality, Reproductive Health and Advocacy, held by Srikandi Sejati Foundation (Male-to-female transgender NGO), 29-31 July 2008 in Jakarta.
SEMINARS and CONFERENCES:
- Speaker at Panel discussion on “Male Responsibility of Family Reproductive Health” (held by Atma Jaya Research Centre), May 1996
- Speaker at National seminar on “Culture and Health”, held by Directorate General of Culture and Department of Health, November 1996
- Poster presentation at International Conference on Reproductive Health in Mumbai, India, March 1998
- Speaker at Fourth Asia-Pacific Social Science and Medicine Conference in Yogyakarta, December 1998
- Speaker at Public hearing on ‘Sex exploitation in mass media’ in Jakarta (held by Marka or Media Ramah Keluarga), July 1999
- Invited participant at ‘Asia Roundtable on Sexuality’ in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (held by National AIDS Standing Bureau and Ford Foundation), January 2001
- Speaker at Workshop on ‘Regional Autonomy in a multicultural Indonesia’ in Singapore (held by National University of Singapore), May 2002
- Speaker at International Meeting of Sexuality Training in Southeast Asia (held by Center of Policy and Health Social Science, Mahidol University) in Bangkok, May 2002
- Speaker at Seminar on ‘Commercial sexual exploitation on children in tourism’ in Jakarta (held by Jakarta Tourism Office), August 5, 2004; title of paper ‘Commercial sexual exploitation on children and tourism’.
- Speaker at International Conference Asian Women’s/Gender Studies and Education Practice in the new Millennium, in Dalian, China, 21 – 24 September 2004; title of paper “Researching sexuality in Indonesia: Linking to policy and practice in reproductive and sexual health”
- Speaker at National Seminar on “Preventing HIV transmission to women and babies” in Jakarta, 12 December 2006, held by Masyarakat Peduli AIDS Indonesia.
- Speaker at 8th AIDS Impact Conference, 1 – 4 July 2007 in Marseille, France; title of paper “Fertility desire and sexual transmission risk: sexuality and reproduction among PLWHA in West Java, Indonesia”
- Poster presentation at 4th Asia Pacific Conference on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 29-31 October 2007 in Hyderabad, India; title of paper “The PMTCT Program in Indonesia: Addressing sexual and reproductive health needs and rights of PLWHA”
- Speaker at ‘Lokakakarya Nasional Penelitian HIV/AIDS’, 13 December 2007, in Jakarta, held by Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS Nasional; title of paper ‘Program PMTCT di Indonesia: Kebutuhan Layanan Kesehatan Reproduksi dan Seksual bagi ODHA’.
- Speaker at 5th International Symposium of Journal Antropologi Indonesia, 22-26 July 2008 in Lambung Mangkurat University, Banjarmasin; title of paper ‘Globalisasi, Ketimpangan dan Remaja Perempuan’ (Globalization, Inequality and Female Adolescents).
- Speaker at National Workshop on Gender and Social Justice, 27 August 2008 in Center of Population and Policy Studies, University of Gadjah Mada.
- Contributor, writing 42 entries for Ensiklopedi Nasional Indonesia published by PT Cipta Adi Pustaka, 1991
- Hidayana, Irwan M. et.al. 1997. Perilaku Seksual Remaja di Kota dan Desa: Kasus Sumatera Utara (Adolescent Sexual Behavior in urban and rural areas: the case of North Sumatera province). Seri Laporan Penelitian no. 2 Jakarta: Laboratorium Antropologi FISIP UI.
- Saifuddin, Achmad Fedyani and Irwan M. Hidayana. July 1999. Seksualitas Remaja (Adolescent Sexuality). Jakarta: Pustaka Sinar Harapan
- ‘Dari Menstruasi sampai Kontrasepsi: Isu-isu seksualitas pada remaja perempuan’ (From menstruation to contraceptives: sexuality issues of female adolescent).2000. In Benih Bertumbuh: Kumpulan Karangan bagi Prof. Dr. T.O.Ihromi, penyunting Sita van Bemmelen, Atashendartini Habjsah dan Lugina Setyawati.
- ‘Men make a difference?’ dalam Kabar Ilmu Kesehatan Masyarakat, vol.1, no.4, 2001
- ‘Pendidikan Seksualitas dan Multikulturalisme’ (Sexuality Education and Multiculturalism). 2003. In Pendidikan Memang Multikultural, editor Aryo Danusiri, Jakarta: Yayasan SETH.
- Dari Syariat ke Maqashid Syariat: Fundamentalisme, Seksualitas, dan Kesehatan Reproduksi (From Sharia to sharia’s objective: fundamentalism, sexuality and reproductive health). 2003. In collaboration with Zuhairi Misrawi, Lily Z. Munir, Nur Rofi’ah, dan A.D. Kusumaningtias. Jakarta: KIKJ dan Ford Foundation.
- ‘Kesehatan Reproduksi, kesehatan seksual, dan seksualitas’ (Reproductive health, sexual health and sexuality), in Srinthil no.6, 2004.
- ‘Migrasi Lintas Batas di Asia Tenggara dan Seksualitas’ (Cross-border migration and sexuality in Southeast Asia), Jurnal Perempuan no. 36, August 2004
- ‘Gender dan Seksualitas: Sebuah Pengantar’ (Gender and Sexuality: An introduction) in Irwan M. Hidayana et.al (eds.) Seksualitas: Teori dan Realitas. Depok: Program Gender dan Seksualitas dan Ford Foundation, 2004
- ‘Seksualitas laki-laki, gender, dan kesehatan seksual’ (Male sexuality, gender and sexual health), in Irwan M. Hidayana et.al (eds.) Seksualitas: Teori dan Realitas. Depok: Program Gender dan Seksualitas dan Ford Foundation, 2004
- Co-author, Kajian Cepat Program Pencegahan Penularan HIV dari Ibu ke Bayi di Indonesia (Rapid Assessment on PMTCT program in Indonesia). Jakarta: Pusat Kajian Departemen Kesejahteraan Sosial, Yayasan Pelita Ilmu dan University of Amsterda, 2006.
- ’Integrasi Program PMTCT ke Layanan KIA-KB’, Support, January 2007.
- ”Culture and International imagination in Southeast Asia” (co-author, with E.C. Thompson and C. Thianthai), Political Geography 26 (2007): 268-288
- ”Heteronormativitas dan Pemberdayaan Seksual: Sebuah Pengantar” (Heteronormativity and Sexual Empowerment) with Saskia E. Wieringa and Nursyahbani Katjasungkana in Membongkar Seksualitas Perempuan yang Terbungkam. Jakarta: Kartini Network, 2007.
- ”Preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Vietnam and Indonesia: Diverging logics and fragmented practices”, (forthcoming; co-author with A. Hardon, P.Oosterhof, N. Thu Anh and J.D. Imelda), Social Science and Medicine, 2008.